Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Sports


It's taken over 40 years, but I think I have reached a point of sanity about sports.

Today, my beloved Braves got shut out by... actually, I have no idea who the opposing pitcher was.  Never heard of him.  They have a one game lead with three to play against the best team in the NL, whereas the Cards play the worst team in the NL.  I doubt they make the playoffs.

My beloved Falcons played like a beer league flag football team AFTER the beer has started flowing.  I think they go 9-7 if Matt Ryan doesn't get killed first.  They were a trendy pick to win the Super Bowl.

And I'm more or less OK with it.  I haven't thrown anything, although it helps that I can't actually SEE the games.

There's a line in one of my favorite movies, Groundhog Day, where Phil says, "Maybe God's not omniscient. Maybe he's just been around so long, nothing surprises him anymore."

I've reached that point, maybe, and that's nice.  I don't need my kids to see me having a heart attack because Roddy White dropped the go ahead touchdown or Martin Prado couldn't get a runner in from third with one outs.

No comments: