Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Sunday, September 23, 2012

When The Going Gets Tough...


..I go to church.

And this morning was helpful as I deal with issues surrounding the stuff obliquely referenced below.  My Most Glorious And Long Suffering Wife has noted that the collection plate is cheaper than a co-pay.  And my priest is also a psychologist by trade, so...#winning.

One theme our priest returns to is the idea that service to God is discomforting.  Not because it's unpleasant but because it's hard.  It's hard to love our neighbors as ourselves.  It is hard to let go of envy and pride.

As I sat listening to her talk about the damaging power of envy, I thought to myself, "I'm not an envious person.  Prideful, hot-tempered and self-protective, but not envious."

Yay, me.

But as I started thinking about it, what about my "relationship" with the 1%?  I don't universally dislike them, but the priorities of most of the 1% are not mine.  I don't consider the 47% "moochers" and I think the ultimate "job creator" is the customer, not the Wall Street investment banker.

Is my distaste for Donald Trump envy?  I don't think so.

But I also think that when I say that I could be rationalizing myself to myself.

And part of what was striking about Romney's Boca speech was the "epistemological closure" of it.  Everyone nodded along because they all agree with each other.  They have entered a feedback loop of Fox News and drinks at the club.

So, as I said, service and a life dedicated to other should be uncomfortable, because if you aren't constantly questioning it, you aren't fully living it.

No comments: