Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Heavy Petraeus

All about the sexy...

Well, I'm trying not to follow this too closely for the same reason I avoided Jon Benet Ramsay and Chandra Levy.

Nevertheless, here is the best thing I've read about this so far:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8624514/chuck-klosterman-david-petraeus-scandal-living-cia-conspiracy-theory

I have no idea what caused David Petraeus to cheat on his wedding vows.  I can't say I care.  I also can't say I'm surprised a powerful man who spends weeks and months away from his wife fell into the arms of a younger woman who both adored him and was near him. Dude is human and adoration is pretty powerful (I would guess).

The surrounding farcical cast of characters makes this somewhat amusing, I guess.

But I have to echo Chuck Klosterman: what have I learned?  Not a damned thing.

UPDATE:  This is pretty good, too.
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/borowitzreport/2012/11/how-to-tell-if-youre-involved-in-the-petraeus-scandal.html#ixzz2C8rTUHvj

No comments: