Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Thursday, August 22, 2024

I Absolutely Lost It

 I'm sitting here hours later with my eyes swollen from the ugly crying I did last night over Tim Walz's son, Gus. Gus has some learning differences that I've seen in young people before. Our son has some LD issues, and he went to a school with a lot of kids like Gus. When Gus teared up over his dad and said "That's my dad!" Shit, I'm tearing up again.

I admit to not knowing who this guy was 6 weeks ago. When Biden dropped out, Walz suddenly blossomed with the "weird" line of attack, but there was also something about him that just resonated with me. Having your 17 year old son weepily and proudly boast about you on national television is the single greatest endorsement of a politician I've ever seen. He's the real deal, because there's no faking it with kids like Gus Walz.

No comments: