Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Will No One Think Of The 1%?


http://www.ginandtacos.com/2012/03/01/a-bunch-of-people-who-need-to-be-severely-beaten-get-the-fjm-treatment/

http://tbogg.firedoglake.com/2012/02/29/walk-a-mile-in-my-berlutis/

tbogg even uses my photo!

I... I... How... What...?

I'm well off.  I understand that.  I'm somewhere in the top 10-15% of earners in the US.  But I live in an area with a high cost of living and I'm surrounded by the guys in that Bloomberg article.  I know we have kids who start at our school and have trouble staying here when things get tight at home.  That happened over the past four years.

But c'mon.

There was a study of the very successful people's personal ethics, and those that were very successful tended to break rules, steal casually and cheat more often.  The assumption is that they felt they were owed it.  Football players don't sexually assault the coeds because of the game of football, they do it because they are the elite on a college campus and the elite are due their deference.

It would be nice to think that having to, you know, budget their money for salmon and get rid of a few of their luxury cars would make these bastards empathetic with people for whom that is their whole life, not a temporary problem brought on by a downturn.

It would be nice but naive.

No comments: