Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Saturday, July 20, 2024

Make It Stop

 After the reminder on Thursday that Trump is not a transcendent political force, I felt "not awful" for the first time in weeks. However, the subsequent days have been filled with all sorts of contradictory bullshit about Biden's state of mind regarding his continued presence in the race. Is Pelosi behind it? Is it a groundswell against Biden? Is he digging in out of stubbornness? Is he simply waiting for the right moment?

Argh! I want a nominee. I want a stronger Biden than we've seen or I want Harris. I do not want some "thunderdome" scenario out of a bad Aaron Sorkin movie. I want the party to unify around someone, so we can get busy with the job of beating a very beatable candidate.

The Democratic Party is threatening to consume itself in speculation over things outside its control. 

No comments: