Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Meltdown In Michigan

...And start with Rick Perry.

Wow.  I'm guessing we've all seen the self-immolation of Governor Perry.  He's had the sort of fall that not only has doomed his presidential aspirations, but might led to the people of Texas voting him out of office in embarrassment.  I mean, he looks so dumb he won't even be able to land a gig at Fox.

Charles Pierce eviscerates the field here.

He especially lays into Gingrich.

Now, I have to tread carefully here, because last winter I began to beat the drums for Rick Perry.  I clearly missed the boat on that one.  But I missed the boat because I had no idea how vapid he was.  I looked at the bio and the awesome hair and thought, "GOP winner!"

And while I think Pierce's criticisms of Gingrich were spot on, I don't see how they are disqualifying in a GOP primary.  Could there be a better distillate of the GOP electorate than a pompous, pasty, mean, middle aged white guy?  Someone so convinced of his own intellectual infallibility that he doesn't bother with facts?

Yes, it's still Romney's to lose, just like always.  But Perry will likely collapse into the low single digits if he doesn't get out of the race altogether.  Cain is dying the death by a thousand cuts.

If we think that a majority of the GOP simply will not abide by a Romney standard bearer, where else to they turn?  Santorum?  Paul?

Isn't Gingrich following roughly the same pattern that McCain followed in 2008?

I realize I'm engaging in wishful thinking.  But with all the sordid, squalid news out there, can't a boy dream?

No comments: